Friday, November 30, 2018

Redeeming Time


Time is a sacred commodity.

Every day is a sacred event.

One of the things that I have grown to appreciate about the Church is her emphasis on liturgical time.

An emphasis on liturgical time was something that was direly lacking in my evangelical Protestant experience. Christmas and Easter were elevated to a class of special status. We considered them seasons. They were, in reality, more like weekend events that came and went.

Beyond these two notable events, the rest of the year was essentially ordinary time with no real liturgical significance or directional flow that encouraged or fostered cohesiveness and unification within the greater Body of Christ.

It is not my intention to brandish a hot iron toward my Protestant brothers and sisters. I am merely reflecting upon my own experience as a former Protestant who, by the grace of God, was led home to the Catholic Church.

Fixed times of daily prayer punctuated the day in the lives of Christ’s followers in the infant church. 

Fixed-hour praying is the oldest form of Christian spiritual discipline. Fixed-hour praying has its roots in the Judaism out of which Christianity came. When the psalmist sang, “Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous ordinances.”[1], he was referring to the fixed-hour praying that was common in ancient Jewish life.

The Apostles and early disciples brought this practice of “sanctifying time” into the Church as a normal and acceptable aspect of daily Christian life.

The early Church fashioned their schedule of fixed-praying around the daily work schedule of the Roman Empire. Bells rang at six in the morning to announce the beginning of the work day. Bells sounded mid-morning for break, at noon for lunch, again at three to re-commence trade, and at the close of the work day at six. The addition of night and early morning prayers completed the fixed-hour praying form of the early Church – a form of fixed-hour praying that has survived the centuries and is still in practical use today.

Saint Benedict, in his rule written in the early 6th century, prescribed eight fixed-prayer hours for monks in monasteries to follow: Matins or Vigils, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline. Benedict’s monks prayed and worked. The focus has not changed. Benedictine monks still pray and work under the tutelage of and in the spirit of Saint Benedict.

I, as an Oblate of Saint Benedict, made a holy promise to enter into and with, as best as my ability and station in life allows, the prayer life of my spiritual fathers and brothers in the monastery. I have no separate Rule to follow as an Oblate. The Rule of my Benedictine fathers and brothers applies to me, as well. Life, as an Oblate living in the world, has variables – some of them uncontrollable - that are not common within the cloister of the monastery where schedules are much easier to keep. My fathers and brothers in the monastery recognize and understand the differences.

I must admit that there have been times when the ordinary things of life have rushed in on me to hinder me. There have been times when my own will has exerted itself and hindered me in progressing in Benedict’s school of the Lord’s service. There have also been times when I have allowed myself to get so involved in doing good works in the life of the Church that the Benedictine balance of ora and labora (prayer and work) was so direly affected that I lost focus.

Living to the age of retirement from the labors of making a living has afforded me a new world of opportunity where integrating and living the ideals of Benedictine spirituality meets fewer “outside” challenges.

Time does not belong to us.

The Apostle Paul makes mention of time and says to the Ephesian Church, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil.”[2]

Time is a sacred commodity that belongs to God. We enter into time for a short while then pass from it. The onus is on me to do what I have to do to consciously redeem time and use it as a tool that draws me closer to God.



[1] Psalm 119:164
[2] Ephesians 5:15-16

1 comment:

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...