Saturday, December 29, 2018

Thinking Back And Looking Ahead


We are now only a few mere hours away.

It baffles us how fast the past year has flown by. 

More than that, it baffles us how fast all our calendar years have flown by. Time truly marches on and waits for no one.

Time is something that Shirli and I are learning to take much more personally now that we have less of it. We may have more of it available to us on a daily basis now that we are retired. Longevity, where time is concerned, is another matter altogether.

I find it interesting, these days, how things I have not thought of in decades somehow make their way out of the recesses of my memory department.

The evangelism class was required as part of the ministerial program at the Bible College where I received my ministerial education and pastoral training back in the late seventies and early eighties.

I honestly did not enjoy the evangelism class.

There was something about it that did not ring quite true to me. It seemed too artificial, surgical, and mechanical – follow this program for evangelism with guaranteed results in winning souls. It was, nonetheless, a required course and, as a requirement, I participated. Perhaps, though, not in the spirit of willing obedience. The program involved going out into neighborhoods cold canvasing, knocking doors, and using a specific booklet to “share” the Gospel with anyone who would listen.

A lot of doors were slammed in our faces. A lot of profanities were spoken before doors were slammed in our faces. I remember an occasion when one of the student ministers knocked on the entirely wrong door. The biker-type that answered the door delivered a closed fist blow before spouting profanities and slamming the door in his face. It took several days for the swelling to go down and a few weeks for all the signs of the shiner to finally fade and disappear.

It is funny how something that happened forty years ago emerges as a memory this morning. 

A lot has happened, a lot has changed, in these forty years. One of the most significant happenings and changes over these forty years regards our conversion to Catholic Christianity in 2007 – twenty-eight years after the beforementioned young ministerial student wore the shiner.

This memory reminds me of something that is attributed to Saint Francis sometime around the dawning of the 13th Century. “Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.” I remind myself that the simple truth contained in those words attributed to Saint Francis of Assisi is that actions will always speak louder than words. I remind myself that what others see in me will always predicate what they hear from me.

Here, only hours away from hanging the 2019 calendar on the wall, I find myself doing some self-examination. I find myself thinking back over the past year (and years) and looking ahead to the New Year with its twelve blank pages of days waiting to be filled by the actions that I perform. I remind myself that these actions will not go unnoticed. They will not go unnoticed here on earth by those I am personally in contact with. They will not go unnoticed by the Saints in heaven. And they will certainly not go unnoticed by God to whom I must one day give account.

In closing out 2018, and welcoming 2019, I want to say thank you to those that visit Oblate Reflections and read these personal reflections. It is certainly encouraging that others invest their interest and time in reading them.

It is my heart’s desire that, in offering these reflections on a public platform, that others, especially other Oblates of Saint Benedict, may be encouraged, edified, and challenged. It is also my heart’s desire that others, others that are unfamiliar with the Benedictine expression of monastic spirituality in these modern times, will discover an interest in the value of monastic spirituality for these terribly difficult times in which we live.

“So that in all things God may be glorified.”[1]

Pax

Your brother,

David



[1] Rule of Saint Benedict 57:9 (1 Peter 4:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...