Monday, January 21, 2019

Introduction To Living The Rule - Integrating Benedictine Spirituality


Living the Rule

Integrating Benedictine Spirituality in the Twenty-First Century

The ancient text, composed by Saint Benedict in the Sixth Century, and based largely upon the Rule of Saint Basil from the Fourth Century, is of immense value to us in this Twenty-First Century. It has, like the Sacred Scriptures, retained its value over the centuries because of the truth it contains and of how it holds the capacity to lead inquiring and willing hearts deeper into the mind and will of God – both as individuals and as communities.

The Rule has, over these many centuries, directed men and women in becoming monks and religious sisters. It has also been the Rule of life for untold numbers of men and women, married and single, that have felt a call to monastic spirituality and offered themselves to the Order of Saint Benedict as Oblates of Saint Benedict.

The precepts contained in the Rule, whether applied to life as a monk, religious sister, Oblate, or any lay person, are ever new and never become outdated.

A lot of centuries have passed since Benedict lived in a cave in Subiaco as a praying hermit and before he founded his first monastery at Cassino in the Sixth Century. Monasticism flourished, did so for centuries, and had a tremendous impact on populations, cultures, and the Church. Some congregations became quite large and wealthy. Some remained small and poor. Yet, despite their size and economy, all monasteries have been a significant influence in the communities where they were planted.

I am a late-comer to Benedictine monastic spirituality during this time in history where it would appear, at least to the natural eye, that the heyday for monasticism is past. I am, likely because of my own experience as an Oblate, a bit prejudiced in the matter. I do believe that monasteries and monastic spirituality still offer to the world a quality and depth of spiritual life that is, pardon me for my honestly, often overlooked or neglected in the Church at large.

There simply does not exist, in my experience anyway, a consistent and ongoing emphasis placed upon young people where considering monastic vocations is concerned. How can people possibly know if they have a vocation to monastic life if they are not presented with monastic life as an option? How can monasteries possibly flourish without new professions coming in to take up the seats of our brothers and sisters that grow feeble and die in their habits?

One of the amazing things about the Rule is that Benedict’s school appeals to all serious followers of Christ without respect to denomination or non-denomination. Benedict invites all of us to accept and learn through the precepts presented in the Rule. My own walk of faith now happens to be in the Church with its headquarters in Rome. Though I attempt to write with ecumenism in mind, I am sure there are times when my Catholicism, and my love for the Catholic Church is evident. I do not see this evidence as a bad thing. It is good for all of us to get beyond the barriers of denominationalism and develop a better understanding of the journey of faith that other believers in Christ are walking.

This page begins an undertaking that will likely take months, possibly a year or more, to complete. It is not something that can be hurried. Even upon its completion, it will not be completed. Complete would suggest an arrival at a destination. There is no real or tangible point that characterizes completion. Benedict’s school is about much more than mastering the rubrics. Conversatio Morum is a life-long journey in the way of Saint Benedict.

This work will be a personal step by step, verse by verse, chapter by chapter personal journey through the Rule of Saint Benedict. I started to do this in the early years of my Oblation. It did not take long for me to realize that so soon out of my novitiate was not the time for such an undertaking. Zeal is a good thing. Zeal, and still wet behind the ears, is not so good.

This is not intended to be a scholarly examination of the Rule. A scholar I am not. Nor is it intended to be a definitive statement defining the right or wrong way to interpret the Rule. It is being written not by a professed member of the monastery. It is being written by an Oblate living in the world, an Oblate that is making every possible effort to integrate the precepts taught in Benedict’s school into life in the Twenty-First Century outside the blessed walls of the monastic enclosure.

The process, from beginning to conclusion, is something that I need to do, first of all, for myself this far this side of my Oblation. Beyond this, this being my own interior reckoning with the Rule, it is also something that may (hopefully) assist others in discovering this beautiful little school that Benedict founded those many centuries ago. Perhaps it will assist others in walking out their Oblations. 

For whatever good this accomplishes, in my own life or in the lives of others, I say in advance Deo Gratias Thanks be to God.

A word about the translation of the Rule being used.

Here, at the outset, I am using The Rule of Saint Benedict, Translated into English. A Pax Book, London: S.P.C.K., 1931. This translation is in the public domain. I normally use the RB 1980. It has copyright restrictions. I am corresponding with the copyright owner, Liturgical Press, in reference to using the text of the RB 1980. I may, if permission is granted, switch texts and replace the older public domain text with the more modern translation.

As I begin this work, I do so with three Benedictine monks in mind – Father Thomas O’Connor, OSB, Father Edward Markley, OSB, and Father Howard Moussier, OSB. Each of these Benedictine monks touched my life deeply and left their lasting impression upon me. They each fought the good fight. They each completed the race they were called to run. It is not hard at all to imagine their voices, along with the voice of Abbot Benedict, speaking the words of the Rule to me as I read them.

I approach this endeavor as Ora et Labora – Prayer and Work as something to be done at a deep, intimate, and confessional level; as an older version of that seeker knocking at the door of Saint Bernard Abbey where Father O’Connor met me at the door, welcomed me into the Benedictine community as an Oblate Novice, then confirmed me as an Oblate of Saint Benedict through the signing of my Oblate Promise at the side altar of the Abbey Church.

I hear them saying to me,

Hearken continually within thine heart, O son, giving attentive ear to the precepts of thy master.

Understand with willing mind and effectually fulfil thy holy father’s admonition; that thou mayest return, by the labour of obedience, to Him from Whom, by the idleness of disobedience, thou hadst withdrawn.

 To this end I now address a word of exhortation to thee, whosoever thou art, who, renouncing thine own will and taking up the bright and all-conquering weapons of obedience, dost enter upon the service of thy true king, Christ the Lord.

[Photo - March 2007] Father Thomas O'Connor and I at Saint Bernard Abbey a few months after my Final Oblation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...