Monday, January 28, 2019

Living The Rule - Prologue 14-19


The world that we live in is a rough place. It seems that the truth seeking needle has completely fallen off the spindle of the moral compass.

There is a serious problem when the unconscionable is no longer viewed as reproachable.[1] I continually remind myself that the fruit of ideologies will always serve toward one of two directions. One is away from God and his holy ideals for living life. The other is toward God and his holy ideals for living life. I also continually remind myself that the onus is on me to choose whether I will ascend or descend the moral spiral.

Benedict, in the previous verses (Prologue 11), references the Seven Churches.[2]

Only two of the seven came through scrutiny without a scolding and warning from the Lord. The other five had some serious issues that had grown up within their ranks and in their way of doing things. Ephesus had become utilitarian and perfunctory. The church at Pergamum was full of idolatry and immorality. Thyatira had allowed idolatry and immorality to take root and grow. Sardis had a profession of faith but no works to back up their profession. Laodicea had grown luke-warm and self-satisfied.

It is easy to view these as problems affecting only those five of the seven.

The problem was greater than something limited to these. There were many Christian centers in the Province of Asia. “But seven, as always, means totality. But why choose these seven towns? They were situated on a circular road which linked up the most important parts of the province. John would naturally send his letter first to Ephesus; his courier would then convey the letter to the other churches in the province until all the churches had heard the message.”[3] The message then, with its admonitions and promises, becomes a universal message applicable to every church, and every member professing to be Christian, for all ages.

Father Abbot, in addressing those inquiring at the door of his monastery, uses this example from the First Century Church and says to his Sixth Century inquirers … Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.[4] He says the same thing to us in the here and now of the Twenty-First Century.

Saint Benedict, in The Rule, encourages me to study history and to keep looking back at the past. He encourages me to keep looking around at what is happening in the world and in the Church today. He continues to encourage me to keep looking within myself to see where the affections of my heart are. His words encourage me to keep weighing the consequences of my decisions and actions. They also encourage me to keep looking ahead toward where my steps are taking me as I seek to attain to the fellowship of everlasting blessedness.

The Prologue continues,

And inquiring for His own labourer among the multitude of the people to whom He proclaims these things, the Lord says again: “Who is the man that wishes for life, and desires to see good days?” And if hearing this thou dost answer “I,” God then says to thee: “If thou dost wish for life true and eternal, refrain thy tongue from evil and let not thy lips speak guile. Turn aside from evil and do good; seek out peace and follow it.[5] And when ye have done this, lo, My eyes are upon you and My ears open to your prayers. And before ye call, I will say, ‘Behold, I am here.’ ”[6] What, most dear brethren, could be more sweet to us than this voice of the Lord inviting us?[7] 

The question asked by the Sainted Abbot is direct, personal, and to the point. He, like he so often does in the Rule, uses the Sacred Scriptures to appeal to the reasoning capabilities of those he addresses. Benedict is pointing out that God, through the Holy Spirit, is searching the hearts of the vast multitude of people that profess to know him and looking for those that are willing to surrender wholeheartedly to him.

And inquiring for His own labourer among the multitude of the people to whom He proclaims these things, the Lord says again: “Who is the man that wishes for life, and desires to see good days?”

I take the liberty to rephrase the question asked in the verse. Who is the person that seeks to discover God in deeper and fuller measures and experience the life of God in ways that cannot be measured by earthly increments of measurement?

It was, and still is, in answering this question for myself that I was, and remain, attracted to Saint Benedict as one of his students living in the world outside the monastery.

And if hearing this thou dost answer “I,” God then says to thee: “If thou dost wish for life true and eternal, refrain thy tongue from evil and let not thy lips speak guile. Turn aside from evil and do good; seek out peace and follow it.”

I realized, the first time I read the Prologue, that personal change would be an inevitable part of the Benedictine journey. It wasn’t that I was living as a modern heathen or one in need of initial conversion to the Christian faith. But I was, after all, accustomed to living without a specific rule or set of guidelines that did not change with each passing contemporary fad blowing in the wind or with whatever mood I woke up in. I was weary of changes that never lasted and spiritual programs that were constantly changing – changes that left me feeling unanchored and drifting. I was weary of essentially writing my own rule as a way of interpreting the Christian life according to my own understanding.

The change, the directed continual conversion that is both a beginning and a lifelong journey spoken of in the Rule, was like a beam from a lighthouse.

And when ye have done this, lo, My eyes are upon you and My ears open to your prayers. And before ye call, I will say, ‘Behold, I am here.’ ”

Abbot Benedict assures me that this way of life, described and defined in the Rule, is full of promise and assurance. He spoke from personal experience. History, centuries of Benedictine history, validated the words that came from his lips and quill. He quotes the words of God as quilled by the Prophet Isaiah seven hundred years before Christ’s birth. He promises those inquiring of him that this God whom we seek to discover and live in more deeply and intimately sees us, hears us, and will indeed reveal himself to us as we yield to him in humble submission.

What, most dear brethren, could be more sweet to us than this voice of the Lord inviting us?

There is nothing foul or sour about the love of God, or this path marked out by Saint Benedict and his monastic predecessors.

I admit that there are times when this sweetness, both the sweetness of God and the sweetness of the Rule, have a bitter taste. I constantly remind myself (and often tell others) that I yet have feet of clay and a long way to go before the Potter is finished molding the clay that is me. Living “as Christ”, modeling and reflecting the image of the Lamb, is not always what I immediately want to do when confronted by situations, ideologies, and people that provoke me. I, too often, want to imitate the Lion when he returns to meet out judgment. The Christ centered precepts and wisdom in the Rule, when I keep them before me, keeps my clay in check.

I also remind myself that I am here by personal invitation – that through the grace of God I was led to where I am. I remind myself that while I was seeking God, God was also seeking and guiding me toward the door where I would be invited in and received into something that would both diminish and enlarge me.[8] [9]




[1] See Proverbs 14:34
[2] Revelation Chapters 2 and 3
[3] A Catholic Commentary On Holy Scriptures, Thomas Nelson and Sons, © 1953, p. 1196
[4] Revelation 2:7
[5] See Psalm 34:11-15
[6] See Isaiah 58:9 and 65:24
[7] RB Prologue 14-19
[8] Matthew 7:7
[9] Revelation 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...