Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Make Me A Straighter Board (Conversatio Morum)


The idea that modern Catholics do not read and study the Holy Scriptures is a terribly misconceived notion. We are, in fact, exhorted to read and study the Bible. “The Church forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful … to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.”[1]

A group of Catholic faithful meet in the hall at our small Saint Robert Bellarmine parish every Tuesday evening following Mass for Bible study. The study is specific, pointed, and directed. We are there to study the Scriptures readings that will be part of the upcoming Sunday Liturgy.

Our teacher, a biblical scholar[2], comes to us via our satellite connection. He takes us through the readings to help us internalize and integrate the Scriptures in a way that honors Saint Paul’s exhortation to Timothy. “Remind them of this, and warn them before God that they are to avoid wrangling over words, which does no good but only ruins those who are listening. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly explaining the word of truth.”[3]

The Old Testament and Gospel Scripture texts that we studied last night came from Sirach and Luke.

Sirach was written by a Jewish scribe who lived in Jerusalem in the early third century BC.  His name was Jesus, son of Eleazar, son of Sirach.  He is often called "Ben Sira."  The book has taken several different titles including "The Wisdom of Jesus Ben Sira" and "Liber Ecclesiasticus" (Church book).  Ben Sira wrote in Hebrew, but his grandson later translated the book into Greek.  The Hebrew of Sirach was lost about a thousand years ago, but in the late 19th century and early 20th century Hebrew fragments of Sirach were found which comprise about two-thirds of the book. 

Sirach is a deuterocanonical book of wisdom literature. Deuterocanonical is a big word. It is used to describe sacred books or literary works that form a secondary canon.

Most modern Bibles used in the majority of the Protestant arena no longer include the deuterocanonical books. This was not the case in 1611 when the King James Version was first published. The deuterocanonical books were part of the original KJV.

When a sieve is shaken, the refuse appears; so do a person’s faults when he speaks.
The kiln tests the potter’s vessels; so the test of a person is in his conversation.
Its fruit discloses the cultivation of a tree; so a person’s speech discloses the cultivation of his mind.
Do not praise anyone before he speaks; for this is the way people are tested.[4]

The Gospel reading says,

“He also told them a parable: Can a blind person lead a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, ‘Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye’, when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.

No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.” [5]

My first inclination, as we watched and listened, was to immediately start weighing others on the balance scale. My first inclination was, however, abruptly cut short. In the depths of my heart, listening with the ear of the heart, I had to hang my head with the realization that it is not others, but myself, that I need to keep on the scales. Finding fault in others is not my responsibility. Searching my own heart and soul is my responsibility.

Do I truly see and understand clearly? Do I resemble Christ in all of my thoughts and actions toward others?

I have to continually remind myself that it is the log in my own eye that I need to first be concerned with before trying to help others with the splinters (or logs) in their eyes. I have to keep reminding myself that it is me, and my own fruit, that I need to be focused on, inspecting, and testing. I cannot forget that it is cultivating the condition of the soil of my own heart that I must continually remain attentive to lest the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart betray the confidence and expectation that the Teacher places on me as one of the least of his disciples.

I am reminded of something that a dear old Protestant preacher of fond memory said to me. He was not an eloquent man, but he had a lot of wisdom. He asked the question, “Do you know the best way to prove that a board is bent?” Then he immediately answered the question saying, “Lay a straight board down beside it.”

Conversatio Morum, continual … ongoing … ever deepening … conversion of heart is both a calling and a challenge. I can neglect it. I can deny it. Or, far better, I can yield to it, grow in grace, and thank God for the Light that makes his way into the dark spots of my heart to show me where I yet have room to grow in my own modeling of Christ.

As we watched and listened, I could not help but to think about something that is familiar to those of us that read and attempt to live by the precepts contained in the Rule of Saint Benedict.

Let us do what the Prophet says: "I said, I will take heed of my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I have set a guard to my mouth, I was dumb, and was humbled, and kept silence even from good things" (Ps 38[39]:2-3).  Here the prophet shows that, if at times we ought to refrain from useful speech for the sake of silence, how much more ought we to abstain from evil words on account of the punishment due to sin.[6]

Lord, straighten out the remaining twists in my own grain and make me a straighter board. Amen



[1] Catechism of the Catholic Church, #133, p.43
[2] Brant Petri, www.BrantPetri.com , The Mass Readings Explained
[3] 2 Timothy 2:14-15
[4] Sirach 27:4-7
[5] Luke 6:39-45
[6] HR 6:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...