Friday, December 20, 2019

Hermitage Notes - 12/20/19

A lot comes to light in an atmosphere of smallness and simplicity.

Smallness and simplicity strip away superfluous exteriors that feed our ego. 

Abba Moses, one of the great Desert fathers, would counsel his monks: “Go, sit in your cell [tiny hermitage], and your cell [tiny hermitage] will teach you everything.” 

I get what Abba Moses is saying. More now than when I first [2007 or 2008] read him. 

In this cell-like atmosphere of smallness and simplicity, I can begin to truly know myself apart from self-identifying possessions. I can begin to truly know and experience the personhood of God, who seeks me and my companionship, without placing selfish material expectations upon him.

#HermitageNotes
#OblateReflections
#TheRuleOfSaintBenedict
#IntegratingTheRule
#BenedictinePrayer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...