Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Living The Rule - Prologue 4-7


I dare not speak for any other person.

I can speak about other people. I try, sometimes I fail but I try, to avoid saying anything about other people that maligns their character or diminishes them in any way. Even the worst examples of human beings still possess within their beings elements of goodness as creatures created by God. All of us, regardless of who we are or where we are at in our sojourn on earth, yet have room for improvement in developing the goodness of God that abides within us.

I can only speak for myself. I can only speak about where I have come from, where I am at, where I hope to one day be, and the battles within my own interior self that occur as I seek and pursue more of God and his goodness – a goodness that will always be incomplete until my own mortality takes on immortality.[1]

The Rule helps me keep life in balance. It helps me see others as I should. It helps me see myself as I should. The Rule, by continually revealing my own weaknesses, helps me to understand and empathize with the weaknesses of others.

Personal confession.

There have been times during my Oblate journey that I have been a poor example. I have, at times, been a miserable failure. How many times have I had to start over and reclaim holy terrain that I allowed to slip from my grip? More than I care to think about but, in honesty, must think about lest pride take root and grow up to usurp humility.

I find a great amount of encouragement in a letter written by Elder Joseph the Heychest regarding falling down and getting up. It encourages me to know that I am not the only one with scars from skinned knees.


Abbot Benedict has this to say about the vocation of those that enter into his school.

In the first place, then, when thou dost begin any good thing that is to be done, with most insistent prayer beg that it may be carried through by Him to its conclusion; so that He Who already deigns to count us among the number of His children may not at any time be made aggrieved by evil acts on our part.

For in such wise is obedience due to Him, on every occasion, by reason of the good He works in us; so that not only may He never, as an irate father, disinherit us His children, but also may never, as a dread-inspiring master made angry by our misdeeds, deliver us over to perpetual punishment as most wicked slaves who would not follow Him to glory[2].

It helps to realize that this vocation is not something that I can fulfill in my own strength. Earnest Ora … insistent prayer … begins, sustains, and brings to conclusion the life of those that enter into Benedict’s school. Only through prayer, and the infusion of God’s grace through prayer, can I possibly honorably fulfill this holy calling.

I remind myself that this vocation as an Oblate of Saint Benedict is a holy calling. It is, as a holy calling, bound to be met by oppositional forces – both from within the realm of my own interior complex and from the realm without that will always work to influence my interior complex. This, I think, is one of the areas where our cloistered brothers and sisters are given an advantage over Oblates living in the world. Monastery walls create an environment that significantly limits outside influences.

I remind myself, too, that obedience is expected of me as a life-long commitment and that disobedience will always produce consequences that will deprive me of God’s blessings in the here and now this side of eternity. Disobedience, if left unrepented of, will eventually lead to eternal separation from God and the eternal blessings of those that faithfully persevere in their calling.

These points of reminder affect all of us as disciples of Christ, regardless of our denominational affiliation, Oblate or otherwise. We are, after all, called to lives of holiness that separate us from the world and its way of living.

Oblates of Saint Benedict enter into a Solemn Promise that obligates us, out of love for Christ and love for our brothers and sisters in Christ both inside and outside the monastery, to live in a way that reflects the Light of Christ, the precepts of our Founding Abbot as found in the Rule of Saint Benedict, the heritage of faithful Benedictines throughout the centuries, and the examples now presented by our professed monastic brothers and sisters living lives of ora et labora (prayer and work) within monasteries around the world today.

We can, with God’s help, do this.

The words of the Apostle Paul come to mind.

“May the God of peace sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.”[3]




[1] 1 Corinthians 15:53
[2] RB Prologue 4-7
[3] 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

2 comments:

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...