Thursday, January 24, 2019

Living The Rule - Prologue 8-13


I think back to the time when I first stumbled upon Saint Benedict and the Rule.

I had grown terribly dissatisfied with the modern approaches to living the Christian life that I had known over the first four and a half decades of my life – decades which, by the way, were lived in the realm of both denominational and independent Reformational free-church approaches to Christianity.

In my personal dissatisfaction, in my search for something that made meaningful sense as a means to living the Christian life in this modern world, I had been studying monastic spirituality. What I discovered in those early monks and monastic communities was solidly historical in the context of the Church. It was also vital, developing, and enduring. It was full of spiritual life and personal devotion. Monasticism was, in those early centuries, an antithesis to the chaos of early society.

There was something about Abbot Benedict and his presentation of precepts for living that immediately grabbed me. His antithetical approach to the chaos of the Sixth Century made sense. It made sense then. It makes sense now in the chaos of these modern times.

One of the things that I have noticed about the Rule is that it is vibrant and alive.

This living vibrancy was not as evident at first. It was inherently evident but, in retrospect, in first coming to grips with the Rule as a way of life, a lot of my focus on the Rule was largely cold and institutional – a booklet of rules to memorize, quote, and promote in my own antithetical stand against the chaos of the world. The Rule is a book of rules. It is, however, more than a book of rules.

It is, if we allow it, the presence and voice of Saint Benedict – a kind and warm presence and voice full of vibrant life – speaking to us now, as a dear and loving father speaking to his children, this far this side of the Sixth Century.

The Sainted Father Abbot says,

Let us therefore now at length rise up as the Scripture incites us when it says: “Now is the hour for us to arise from sleep.” (Romans 13:11)

And with our eyes open to the divine light, let us with astonished ears listen to the admonition of God’s voice daily crying out and saying: “Today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts.” (Psalm 95:8)

And again: “He who has the hearing ear, let him hear what the Spirit announces to the churches.” (Revelation 2:7)

And what does the Spirit say? “Come, children, listen to me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord. (Psalm 34:11) Run while ye have the light of life, that the shades of death envelop you not (John 12:35).”[1]

I cannot help but to sense the pleading in his voice as Abbot Benedict directs this urgent appeal to those inquiring at the door of his monastery. The pleading appeal reaches farther than to those initially seeking admission. The appeal is universal. It extends to those who have already entered in and sat down at his feet. It extends to every disciple of Christ’s within and without the monastic enclosure.

Abbot Benedict, in his pleading, is showing me that I need to wake up.

I like to think that I am awake. I have awakened to the truth, but the honest truth of the matter is that I am never fully awake to the truth. There are times when my eyes are more open. There are times when I allow the things going on in the world around me to cloud my vision. There are times when I get into my own way and cannot see the divine light. I am, I will ever be, in need of a clearer vision of the divine light that Christ desires to shine upon and through me.

He is showing me that the choice is mine to make. How clearly and brightly this light shines into and through me will always be conditioned by my willingness to open my heart to receive this divine light.

Abbot Benedict urges me to remember that nothing passes by the watchful eyes of God and to consider the consequences of my actions. There are some valuable lessons to learn from the Seven Churches.[2] What was spoken to them as individual churches is applicable to everyone that professes to be a disciple of Christ’s.

Then, through a line from a Psalm, Abbot Benedict offers himself to me as mentor, teacher, and guide and encourages me to accept his offering while I have light to see by.

Holy Saint Benedict, pray for us that accept your kind offer, especially us Oblates.



[1] RB Prologue 8-13
[2] Revelation 2 and 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...