Monday, January 27, 2020

Hermitage Notes - Confirming The Truth


I remind myself often that the truth is what it is. 

The truth is the truth. 

Like it or not. 

Believe it or not. 

I admit that some truths are harder to grasp than others. Especially when our hearts have been hardened against the truth by the myriad of whatever and whichever tellers of preferential falsehood. 

They are further hardened by the life-choices that we make; choices that, at the outset, are out of harmony with the silent words of the still, small voice that speaks to us from the depths of our souls. 

The more we ignore this still, small, silent voice the easier it becomes for us to deny its presence within us – the easier it becomes for us to justify [and even boast] of the messes we make of ourselves. 

Ignorance of the truth … attempting to deny the truth … fighting against the truth ... embracing only those truths or parts of truths that appeal to us – these serve only as robbers of peace; both our interior peace and peace in the world we live in .. peace that we personally need ... peace that is influentially affective in the small pockets of the world where we reside.  

I would be less than honest if I said that faith-based rejection … some subtle … some overt … that comes from people that I thought were friends [and even more so from family relations] does not bother me. Displays of it still pains me these years later; not that my value as a person is heightened or lessened by the opinions of others – it is not. 

I cannot help but to think about something Saint Paul wrote … For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. [2 Corinthians 13:8] We, even in our rejection of the truth, are still confirming the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...