Monday, January 27, 2020

Living The Rule - Benedict's Tools Ch. 4:29-33

I find it extremely difficult to read the Gospels and the Rule without coming to the conclusion that Christianity, and Benedict and The Rule of Saint Benedict, run completely across the grain of the world’s way of thinking and going about doing things.

We do not have to be Biblical scholars, theologians, or scholars on Benedict and The Rule to see this.

Even from a casual reading of the Gospels and The Rule, it is easy to garner that the post-modern Church lives in a way that is a wide cut away from the Christianity founded by Christ and lived by his Apostles and disciples beginning in those early years and following through until after the turn of the Twentieth Century.

The problem is not in finding a legitimate basis for granting some mental assent to what the Gospels and the other New Testament writings say. The problem is in honestly and sincerely emulating [imitating] these portrayed lives and their teachings clearly spelled out in these divinely inspired Writings and Sacred Traditions that have been handed down to our generation.

Not many modernites want to meet the Christ who said to the rich young man … If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me. [Matthew 19:21] Not many modernites want to surrender their egos, wills, and personal ambitions to a life of complete dependence on one another as did the early believers where … All who believed were together and had all things common; they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. [Acts 2:44-45] Not many modernites want to meet the Apostle Paul who looks them in the eyes and says … Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. [1 Corinthians 13:1]

Not many, anymore, choose the Saints as their role-models. Perhaps because the Saints, without fail, lived lives that represent and promote the ideals contained in the above references?

In writing this piece, I am not thinking about the secular world outside the Church. I am not particularly thinking of the Protestant realm; though these issues apply on both sides of the Protestant/Catholic Divide. I am thinking more so about how the outside world has so made its way into the Church to lure and seduce until those outside the Church see little difference between themselves and us.

I have to continually remind myself of whom I am representing, both as a Christian and as an Oblate of Saint Benedict, and make every conscious effort to hopefully represent them in a way that they – the Lord Jesus, Abbot Saint Benedict, and all the Saints of all ages – are not offended by my example. I must not only give some mental assent to what Jesus tells me in the Gospels, the Apostles tell me in the Epistles, and Saint Benedict tells me in The Rule. I must accept it, integrate it, and practice it in this life I have been given to live in the Twenty-First Century. Saint Benedict’s Rule [based on Scripture] instructs me …

(29) Not to return evil for evil (cf 1 Thes 5:15; 1 Pt 3:9).
(30) To do no injury, yea, even patiently to bear the injury done us.
(31) To love one's enemies (cf Mt 5:44; Lk 6:27).
(32) Not to curse them that curse us, but rather to bless them.
(33) To bear persecution for justice sake (cf Mt 5:10).[1]

I readily admit that it is not easy to take these mandates at their face value and to integrate them as lifestyle reactions that keep me from retaliating toward those that render me evil, injure me in one way or another, show themselves as enemies of my physical and spiritual welfare, curse me, and persecute me.

I also admit that there are times when I fail to live up to these holy standards of conduct. I am doing much better now than at the beginning. But, even now, as the old ones were known to say when asked how they were doing … I fall down. And I get up.

Here, once again, we discover the importance of the Third Vow of Benedictine monks and Third Promise of Oblates of Saint Benedict … this business of committing ourselves to continual conversion of life – a continual conversion of our morals whereby we are slowly and progressively perfected in our image of the Image of God who gave himself so totally on the Cross.




[1] Holy Rule 4:29-33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...