Friday, January 3, 2020

Hermitage Notes - Seeing More Clearly

2020?

The numbers represent perfect eyesight. 

I have never had perfect eyesight. Even as a small child it has been necessary for me to wear eyeglasses to correct my vision defects in order for me to see clearly. 

I cannot help but to think of the blind man that Jesus healed. The blind man at Bethsaida [Mark 8:22] is me; he is all of us if we will only be honest about who we are and where we are in our vision of God. 

The way we see God [and ourselves in him] will affect every detail of life. The way we see God [and ourselves in him] will be the single most determining factor in how we perceive and respond to others. 

The truth of the matter is that we will never be able to fully comprehend God. Neither now or when we are finally allowed to look upon his perfection. No created being ever will. Only the God Man [Jesus] can fully know him. [This is part of the mystery regarding the Father/Son/Spirit.] 

Nothing in this reality should become an excuse used for refusing to develop in the grace of God. We have, after all, much at our disposal to assist us in understanding how God, who himself cannot be fully comprehended, expects us to live. 

Conversatio morum [conversion of life] is the call that goes out to every follower of Christ … monk, nun, or average pew sitter. Virtue must be cultivated and groomed. [Holy Rule 73:6]

The Saints show us by their examples. The safest course to take is always to follow the examples of the Saints. 

It seems rather obvious that a cloud of darkness has begun to overshadow the Church. How else can so many [in Holy Mother Church] be led to believe the diabolical lies that Satan and his followers are spinning? I continually remind myself that God does not change. His moral standards of conduct do not change to accommodate the whims of creatures, regardless of how “educated” creatures become.

2020? 

I see it as an opportunity to improve my vision. The thickening cloud of darkness demands it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Benedict: Still Bringing Order to a Disordered World

There are no words that I can type with these fingers, or words that I can speak with my tongue and lips, that can remotely express the deep...